Sunday, January 25, 2009

Coveted Prayers

It’s been kind of a crazy week here on the home front. As some of you may recall from my last post, our kitty, Adventure has been in and out of the vets since last Friday. We knew something was wrong with her but her appointment on Friday didn’t show anything so we brought her home and over the weekend she got much worse. I was so afraid something was going to happen to her on Sunday and we couldn’t bring her to the vets because they’re closed over the weekend and we had 14 inches of snow dropped on us all day on Sunday so traveling would have been terrible anyway.

I brought her in first thing on Monday morning and they did a series of blood tests and x-rays. The vet thought that she might be blocked so he gave her some barium to see if she’d pass it by morning. If she didn’t pass it he would go in and operate to see what they could find. She spent Monday night at the vets and on Tuesday they said she’d passed a giant hairball so she was okay to come home. YAY!

I picked her up on Tuesday morning and she seemed okay but didn’t seem to start acting any better. By Friday I called them again because she was getting worse again and I didn’t want the weekend to go by without her being checked out. Into the vet’s Amanda and I go again with her and they did another set of x-rays and thought there was still something in there so she ended up having to have surgery at 4:00 that afternoon. We picked her up Saturday morning and now she’s resting at home again. We’re watching her very closely. Hopefully she’ll be starting to feel better soon. They removed some very hard poops mixed with hair and some green colored matter that couldn’t be passed between her large and small intestines. I think the green matter might have been one of those toy mice. We had a bright green one. So now she’s got about 20 staples in her belly. I do hope she’ll start getting better though.




Also, my brother in law has been in the hospital all week and just found out that he has pancreatic cancer. He has a tumor on his pancreas that they are going to try to shrink with a series of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. When it gets smaller they will go in and do surgery to remove it. This has been devastating news for the whole family and of course especially my sister. They have two older children who are grown and out of the house but they also have three younger children, the twins being 8 and the third being 9 years old. They don’t have any health insurance and my sister is just a waitress at a small restaurant here in town. He is in construction and is limited right now as to what he can do. Once the chemo treatments start, we’re really not sure how it will affect him. I know that God's hand is in everything, including this. He would never let one of His children go through sickness without being right by their side.


Please say a prayer for him and his family. His name is Michael Berard.

This morning we woke to -20 degrees but thankfully the sun was out so it was pretty warm in the house. We went for a snowmobile ride this afternoon and it was my first ride of the season! Christopher has been out several times with his friends and Daryl just went out for the first time yesterday. Amanda and I chose to stay home with little miss Adventure to be sure she would be okay.


We had a fabulous time riding through the woods. We went to my mom's in the next town over and gave her a surprise visit. It felt good to get out and see the beauty of God's creation and not think about all the cares of the past week. In my next post, I'll share some pictures that friends of our got up north of some wild Lynx that were crossing the road where they were snowmobiling so I hope you'll come back to visit me soon. Until then, stay warm and snug and may God richly bless your lives. Hugs & blessings~ Birgit