Monday, April 27, 2009

A Special Gift

As many of you may or may not know, I'm an avid bird watcher and love to feed all the little critters that come to our yard. I've always love animals since I was a young girl. My mother nick named me Dr. Doolittle because if there was an injured animal in the neighborhood, I would find it and nurse it back to care with an elderly neighbor of mine whom I just adored.

Well, each day I can count on my fingers the number of times a bird hits one of the windows in our entry way. Mind you that my windows aren't so clean that it looks like they can fly through but for whatever reason, these little birds think they can. Maybe they see the reflection of the sky and trees and see greener pastures. Anyway, each time I hear that familiar bang on our windows, I go out to check for fallen friends. Thankfully, I've never lost one yet however I've been blessed to hold them until they've come to their senses and are ready to fly into the freedom of the trees again.

Today it just so happened that I heard the sound that sends me to my feet towards the door and found a little chickadee clinging to the side of a small bush by my front porch. I gently extended my hand and he hopped onto my finger still in shock. He was only holding on with one tiny foot and his mouth was consistently open. He was definately in distress. I gently tried to urge him to open his other crinkled little foot to hold on to my finger as well. He responded to that after a few seconds of prodding but his eyes kept closing. I spoke in a very soft voice and each time I did, he would open his eyes and seem more alert.

After a while, he turned his head and looked straight into my eyes. It was the sweetest thing ever! He sat perched on my hand in my lap for several minutes as he became more alert.



He stayed with me for about 4-5 minutes until he felt well enough to fly into a near by tree where he stayed for a bit longer and then flew away. What a special gift I received today from the hands of my Lord! Have a great day!
Hugs~ Birgit