Friday, April 2, 2010

Blessed Easter Tidings

Hello bloggy friends~ Happy Easter to all of you! I hope you all are doing well and counting your blessings each day. I praise God for all this wonderful spring weather He's sent our way, early this year. I am just loving being outside in the flower gardens already. They're just about all cleaned out and the spring crocus' are in full bloom!



Among other garden pleasantries are the many signs of new growth in our flower beds. Many of our perennials are showing their tender green leaves including this one, Golden Glow from the Rudbeckia family.


It's an heirloom flower that grows very tall, perfect for the back of your garden.


All the birdhouses have been cleaned out and are waiting for new feathered tennants to take up residence for the summer.


Inside, I have many seedlings that are growing and waiting for their turn to be moved outside in the warm spring air.


Along with our peppers, we have tomatoes, temptation strawberries, thyme, oregano, Italian basil, lemon basil, winter savory and lots of flowers all started indoors. My dining room looks a bit like a greenhouse but I'm enjoying it. Soon it will all be moved outside and I'll have all that space back for some more prim decorating.

In my last post I mentioned about showing you the Easter decorations I made for our secret sister brunch at church last Saturday. It turned out wonderful and everyone had such nice comments about the decorations. Here's a couple of pictures of some of the things I did for the brunch using wheat grass seeds that we sell at
Pine Tree Garden Seeds.
I picked up these pretty pastel plant pots at the Christmas tree shop and filled them with potting soil, added a pillar candle and sprinkled the seeds around the edge of the candle.


The pillar candles were plain ones that I picked up at Big Lots. I dipped them in lavender scented wax and then rolled them in lavender buds that I also got at work.


I made the tags using rubber stamps and scrapbooking cardstock.


I also filled this little red wagon with some wheat grass that I had started in plastic seed starting flats and then transferred it into the wagon when I was ready. I added the chocolate looking Easter bunny and some wooden eggs to the grass for a sweet spring decoration.



I also brought the Easter trees that I made with some friends a couple of weeks ago to place on the tables. The lighting at the church hall is terrible so the pictures I took didn't really come out all that well. Here's one picture that was salvageable.


I thought I'd share a picture of this sign that I made not too long ago.

I made two of them to sell, but I'm kind of growing fond of them and might keep one. ;)

In closing, I hope you'll take the time to reflect on the real reason we celebrate Easter. God bless~ Birgit


From Mark 16~
1 The Sabbath day ended. Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices. They were going to apply them to Jesus' body.
2 Very early on the first day of the week, they were on their way to the tomb. It was just after sunrise. 3 They asked each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance to the tomb?"

4 Then they looked up and saw that the stone had been rolled away. The stone was very large.

5 They entered the tomb. As they did, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe. He was sitting on the right side. They were alarmed.

6 "Don't be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. But he has risen!