This is Oma, my grandmother from Germany. I remember her always smiling and laughing. She was the most jolly person I think I've ever known. She was just a tiny thing, not even five feet tall. She couldn't speak any English at all but we communicated just fine. When she lauged, her whole body shook and tears always came out her eyes. She could make me laugh just by listening to her giggle. Oma came to visit us from her home in Germany only a few times, but when she came she stayed for what seemed like months at a time. The time always went by too quickly.
When I was a little girl, I remember Oma watching Sesame Street with me and even though she couldn't understand what was being said, she'd giggle and laugh through the entire show. Her favorite character was Oscar the Grouch and that year for Christmas my mom gave her an Oscar the Grouch puppet, complete with trash can. Oh how she laughed and laughed when she opened that gift. We all enjoyed so much laughter when she was with us. She would say funny things trying to say them in English and make silly rhymes with made up words. She enjoyed playing cards with us and she would put down a heart and say, "heartz, shmeartz doo-deartz". Crazy, but so memorable. That's my Oma!
The picture on the left is of me hugging my grandpa when I was a teenager. This was taken on Christmas eve. Little did we all know that this would be our last Christmas with our Grandpa. The pretty young girl on the right is my mom when she was a girl. That was taken at her confirmation.
In the picture to the left, is my aunt, uncle and my dad when they were all young. My dad is the one of the right. In the picture on the bottom left is my great grandmother (my grandpa's mother). My grandmother is in the bottom picture on the right.
I just wanted to add that I would love for anyone to use this idea and make a Memory Tree of their own. It's a wonderful way to share our heritage and memories with family and friends. I'd love to see your Memory Tree, so leave me a post if you make one too.
Here's a couple pictures of our front porch. Just thought I'd include them on this post too.
I also wanted to let you all know how much I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments. They bring sunshine into my days and always make me smile when I think about the kindness of people whom I've never even met before. You make my day brighter by your thoughtfulness and I just wanted to say thanks and send you a big Christmas cyber (((HUG)))! Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope your Christmas is filled with many blessings and many happy new memories made. Hugs~ Birgit

