Thursday, October 22, 2009

Slow Cookin'


Hello friends~ I'm writing this post tonight because I'm leaving tomorrow for a weekend getaway! Some ladies from our church go every year to Mt. Monadnok, NH for a women's retreat and I'm so excited to be joining them this year. We are planning to hike up the mountain, so you can be sure I'll be taking lots of pictures. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and the foliage will be beautiful.

Since I've been so busy lately getting things ready for our open house, I've been cooking dinner in the slow cooker a lot! I am such a big fan of slow cookers. I throw everything together in the morning and let it cook all day. Come evening, when I'm getting tired of being on my feet all day, I don't have to think about cooking supper because it's already done! There's nothing better for my hubby, than coming home from a long days work and smelling the warm scent of something yummy that's been cooking all day.

Yesterday, I made pea soup in the crock pot but since that's not everyone's favorite (although, my kids love pea soup) I thought I'd share the recipe for my homemade spaghetti sauce that I made today.

Spaghetti Sauce
1 lb. ground sausage (we like hot)
1 lg. can Tomato Puree + equal amt. water
2 sm. cans Tomato Paste + 1 can water
2 sm. cans Tomato Sauce + equal amt. water
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
Oregano, Basil, Garlic, Red Pepper, Salt, Pepper and 2 tsp. Sugar

Meatballs~ 1 lb. Ground Beef, 2 Eggs, Bread Crumbs, Parmesan Cheese, Parsley and Garlic Powder
Mix all ingredients together, shape into balls, add to sauce.

Brown sausage, onion and garlic. Add all other ingredients. Bring this to a simmer. While it is simmering add meatballs. Simmer for 5-6 hours. The heat from simmering sauce will cook the meatballs.


This makes a large pot of sauce so I usually end up freezing enough sauce for another meal.
ENJOY!

Have a great weekend everyone! See you on Monday! Hugs~ Birgit