Thursday, January 7, 2010

Simple Wynter Pleasures #5

Hearty food made with love is the theme of my 5th post for Simple Wynter Pleassures. I just love wynter thyme because of the hearty foods we like to eat. Soup is my comfort food but not for the rest of the family. They like their meat and potatoes. This post comes with a bonus because I'll share the recipe with you so you can try it too.

Breaded Chicken Tenders with Broccoli Alfredo and Garlic Bread Sticks
Doesn't that just sound so healthy and good for you?? Well, it's not really a great recipe to try if your New Year's Resolution was to eat lower fat foods but it sure is a hearty recipe and one of my family's favorites!

For the chicken: family pack of boneless skinless chicken tenders (that's a healthy start)
1/2 Cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
4 Tbsp margarine (notice that sounds better than saying a half a stick of butter?)

I melt the butter I mean margarine right in the shallow baking dish when I'm preheating the oven. Meanwhile mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese in a plastic bag. Give it a little shake to mix it up and then add your chicken tenders to it and give it a really good shake. Be sure you've twisted the bag closed leaving air in there so the chicken has plenty of room to bounce around and get a good coating of the mix. Place the chicken into your already buttered baking dish and bake for about 1/2 hour or until the juice is no longer pink at 350 degrees.

For the broccoli Alfredo: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 16 oz of your favorie pasta. We used Penne noodles. Bring to a boil again and add some frozen or fresh broccoli. Yes, I cook it right in with the pasta, this saves time and clean up from dishes later. Cook until the pasta is eldente and the broccoli is tender.

For the Alfredo Sauce: 6 Tbsp margarine
2 Cups whipping cream
1/2 Cup grated Romano Cheese
1/2 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese
2 egg yolks slightly beaten
salt and pepper as you like it.

Melt the margarine in a saucepan over medium ~ low heat. Stir in the cream, both cheeses, egg yolk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until 160 degrees. DO NOT BOIL. I'm not sure what will happen if it boils because I've never dont this, but that's what the recipe says ~ DO NOT BOIL. Drain your pasta and broccoli and top with the Alfredo sauce. Toss lightly to coat.
For the garlic bread sticks: I buy the frozen store brand kind. They're light and delicious! (Yes, I cheat sometimes).
If you try this recipe let me know what you thought of it. Be honest too, I can handle it. ;o)
Take care until next time. Hugs~ Birgit