Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Girls Day Out & The Cutest Doll I Won!

I want to start this post by saying thanks to all you wonderful ladies who've entered my first Random Giveaway so far. I've tried to leave a comment on your blogs or e-mail you but because I can't comment on some blogs, I wanted to thank you all here. I'm so excited to be doing my first giveaway because I love to give gifts. I truly believe in my heart it's better to give than to recieve. I just like how it makes me feel. For me, there's no better gift than a homemade gift too so I'm really excited because most everything I'm giving away has been made by me. I've added a couple extra things too since I've posted the picture so the winner will also recieve a couple of extra surprises.

If you haven't entered your name into the drawing yet, you're not too late! I'm drawing the winning name on Monday, June 8th so you can still leave a comment and get your name entered. I wish I could give something to all of you!

************************************************

Anyway, that being said I'll get to the meat of my post. It had been rainy and cool here in Maine for days and I don't know about you, but sometimes when the weather is non-stop yucky like that, I just like to get out of the house. My favorite places to go are antique shops, second hand shops and of course primitive country shops. My friend Betty called me on one of those dreary rainy days just recently and invited me to go to some prim shops. How could I resist? Of course I said yes and within the hour we were happily talking and on our way to one of the best shops around! Winterberry Barn in Buxton, Me. is owned by Jill, the sweetest shop owner I've ever met. I've only been in a couple of times with Betty, but she remembers our names the moment we step through the door. She is so incredibly friendly, I just love to go see her! This link is to the post I had posted about last fall so if you want to see her shop, be sure to click on the link.

I didn't buy much on this trip but one thing I did buy from her shop was this wooden candle shelf that was marked down to half price. Lucky Me!


I love the mustard color of it and knew it would look good in our livingroom.

After leaving Jill's we headed over to The Mustard House. There's just something about that shop... The moment I stepped through the door, this overwhelming smell of strong perfume just hit me and it's all I can do to breath. We did walk through but didn't buy anything. I guess it's just not my kind of shop. They're kind of pricey and more victorian for my taste. Nothing prim except for the old slate sink that's still in the kitchen section of this old house. Now, if I could have bought that I would have been a happy girl!

Our next stop was over in Limington at
The Country Collection. Her shop is located in the apple orchard that belongs to her family. It has the most beautiful grounds of any of the shops around here. The only thing I bought from there was some faux spring flowers. They were marked down to half price also. That's my kind of shopping!

The following day I went to the post office and found a box just waiting for me! I couldn't even wait till I got home to open it. I sat in my jeep and opened the box knowing that it was the doll that I won from Melissa at Plain Worker Primitives. She's as cute as can be!


I put the little flag in her hands and she is sitting in the center of our farmers table right now until I take the table out to refinish it. Melissa is a hoot and makes amazing dolls and her work is incredible too! Be sure to stop over to her blog for a visit and see all the fun ways she photographs her dolls. Thanks so much, Melissa! I love my new little doll and hope she'll be as happy and relaxed here as she was at your home.

Well, I guess that's all for today. I needed a break from washing windows, dusting and vacuuming. Although today was sunny, I'm trying to get my house clean so I can spend extra time outside in my gardens when the weather is warmer. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs & blessings~ Birgit