Friday, September 11, 2009

Joining the Recipe Pool

Happy Friday everyone. Yes, I know it's September 11th and I should be a bit more somber and respectful and I am. I woke up this morning remembering what today's date was and what it signifies. I will never forget where I was on the day that the terrible tragedy struck the USA in 2001 either. I was working as the school secretary at my kids elementary school. We had a number of parents come to take their children out of school early, not knowing when or where the chaos was going to stop. I was so thankful to have both of my kids there with me so I knew they were safe. But, it's also my sweet nephew, Benjamin's 5th birthday today. Isn't that a reason to be joyful and happy? My SIL and her family live in New York where a large part of the tragedy struck and she gave the family a reason, 2 years later, to find happiness and a reason to celebrate on September 11th. I hope that doesn't sound cold and unthoughtful, I certainly don't mean it to be. Life goes on and laughter and smiles continue too. That being said, Happy Birthday Sweet Benjamin!! We love you lots!



So, I thought I'd join in on Colleen's Recipe Swap. The recipe I'm sharing today, isn't exactly a hearty, fall recipe. It's actually a cool summertime recipe. I'm sharing it with you today because the Lord has truly blessed our cucumber vines this year and we're getting so many cucumbers that I've pickled them, shared them with friends, neighbors and family and today I made this cool, creamy Cucumber Salad. It's my family's favorite salad in the summer time.

~*~*~*CREAMY CUCUMBER SALAD*~*~*~
You'll need *4 or 5 medium sized fresh cucumbers
*1 small can of evaporated milk
*2 TBSP vegetable oil
*4-6 TBSP white vinegar (I used 7)
*1/2 tsp salt and pepper
*pinch of sugar
*1 tsp spicy brown mustard
*1 TBSP chives, chopped (optional)


Peel cucumbers and fill a large bowl with about 4 cups thinly sliced cucumbers.


Sprinkle with salt, cover and refrigerate over night. The following day, squish out the liquid and let the cucumbers sit in a colander while preparing the sauce.


In a bowl, combine the evaporated milk, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, brown mustard and chives and whisk the mixture together thoroughly. Add the cucumbers and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Serve using a slotted spoon.



As I said, this is a simply delicious, cool summer salad but it's not too cold yet to give it a try. Remember to plan ahead as it does take two days to make it.

Be sure to hop on over to Colleen's to see what everyone else is cooking up!

Thanks for stopping by today. I'm off to make homemade pizza for supper! God Bless you all and have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs~ Birgit